Recent Commercial Posts
Protect Your Commercial Property From Flood Damage
According to FEMA, "flooding most common natural disaster in the United States and can happen anywhere."
A flood is when an area of land that is usually dry fills with water covering a couple inches or covering an entire building. Flooding can happen when a lake or river cannot contain the amount of water that has been put into it from excessive rain, snowmelt, waterways are blocked and various other factors.
Floods have the ability to have serious impacts that automatically depends on the speed and level, duration, terrain and soil conditions and the property environment. Meaning flood can have a great effect on your property and it is important that if you are in a flood watch or flood warning that you take the necessary precautions.
Some precautions you may want to take are:
- elevating critical utilities
- make sure your sump pump is functioning properly
- install a battery back-up on your sump pump
- clear debris from your gutters and downspouts
- move valuable items to a safe place
Keeping You and Your Work Community Safe
Stay Safe & Healthy
During this unprecedented time, it is important that we are keeping our workspace safe!
Here are a couple things as a business we are during and encourage you to do the same.
Practice good hygiene:
- Stop shaking hands
- Wash hands frequently and use hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your face including nose, eyes & mouth
- Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Disinfect highly touched areas like doorknobs, tables, desks, handrails and keyboards/tablets regularly
- Open windows or adjust air conditioning to increase ventilation
Hold virtual meetings / avoid traveling
- Use videoconferencing
- If not possible, hold meetings in open, well ventilated areas
- Postpone large meetings or travels
Stay home if you are...
- Able to work virtual
- Feeling sick
- Have a household member who is feeling sick
The safety and health of our employees and those around us are very important to us. We went to make sure everyone is staying safe during this uncertainty time and we hope you can follow the same!
Have You Thought About Winterizing Your Business?
Is Your Business Prepared For December 21st?
Winter is coming quick and we want to make sure you are prepared! These simple procedures will help keep your business both safe and warm this winter season.
- Install weather stripping, insulation, and storm windows to keep needed heat in.
- Clean out gutters and inspect your roof to ensure that there are no needed repairs.
- Remove any broken tree limbs that could fall due to weather such as wind, rain, ice and snow.
- Have your heating system serviced to ensure it is working properly.
- Test your smoke detectors
- Identify any potential flood hazards and ensure the proper flow of drainage systems.
- Install mats and/or carpets in areas where water could be present. As well as check handrails and steps to avoid slipping hazards.
December 21st is coming up quick! Implement those steps above and give us a call to get your business set up with a Emergency Ready Profile.
Don't Let The Flu Swipe Through Your Southern Maryland Commercial Building!
Have you gotten your flu shot this season?!
As the colder weather moves in, so does the flu. Keeping the flu far away from our office is extremely important as we are sure it is the same for you! When one employee get sick the chances of it spreading to other colleagues is high which in return leads to more sick days and lose of production. Which is why we want to ask you, have you thought about getting the flu shot?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the best way to prevent yourself from getting the flu this season is to get vaccinated. You can get yourself vaccinated at any local health clinic, select pharmacy's and health fairs. Some places even give the flu shot for free!
You may wonder why people should be getting the flu shot?
Influzenza is the "flu's" official name and is a disease that can lead to hospitalization or even death. Millions of people get the flu each year with hundreds of thousands hospitalized and thousands to tens of thousands of deaths due to flu related illnesses. The flu shot will reduce the risk of flu illnesses, hospitalization and/or flu related death in children.
Why does one need the flu shot every year?
That reason everyone should get an annual flu shot is because a person's immune protection declines over time. Another reason is because the flu virus is constantly changing, therefore, the vaccination can be altered and updated from one season to the next.
Can I still get the flu even if I get vaccinated?
The answer is yes. Yes, you can still get the flu even if you get vaccinated because you could have already been exposed to the virus shortly before you received the vaccination or during the time it takes your immune system to gain protection from the virus. You could also be exposed with a different strain of the flu that is not included in the seasonal flu vaccination. The flu vaccination is not perfect, so although you may receive the vaccination there is always still a chance to be exposed which can be based on your age and health factors.
Preventative Flu Tips for Your Office:
- Have your employees get vaccinated!
- Avoid close contact with those who are sick
- Feeling sick? Stay home!
- Cover your mouth and nose
- Clean your hands regularly
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Disinfect frequently touched areas
- Get plenty of rest
- Be physically active
- Manage your stress
- Drink plenty of fluids
- East nutritious foods
For information about the flu visit, www.cdc.gov
Commercial Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning For Your St. Mary's and Calvert Counties Business
Which kind of carpet do you have? When was the last time they were professionally cleaned?
Did you know that even the highest quality of carpets and upholsteries still will show soiling as time goes on? Luckily for St. Mary's and Calvert County business owners, SERVPRO has numerous carpet and upholstery cleaning services available to you.
Some of our cleaning procedures include:
- Bonnet Cleaning: A less aggressive method for short piled carpets.
- Hot Water Extraction: A deeper cleaning method for all carpet types.
- Deluxe Precondition and Rinse: Helps restore the deeply soiled areas.
- Showcase Premier Cleaning: The most thorough cleaning method in the industry.
- Dry Cleaning: For when color-fastness is an issue.
To expand the life of your carpet there are a couple actions you can do in between carpet cleanings such as:
- Regular vacuuming
- Spot removals
- Pliating the carpet to prevent matting
- Moving furniture to change traffic patterns
- Using walk-off mats to limit the amount of soil tracked onto the carpet
It is important to keep up to date with your professional carpet and upholstery cleaning (about every 12 months) to help maintain the glow and comfort your carpet or upholsteries. How often you may need the professional carpet cleaning will differ on the amount of traffic, type and color of your carpet. Waiting until your carpet is completely soiled can result in them not being able to be restored to their orginial appearance. Most times you are only seeing the top layer of dirt on your carpet, the other layers are hidden below the surface.
Call us today, (301)-862-9500, to ensure that your commercial carpet and upholsteries won't lose their professional appearance.
Do Not Wait To Call Your Southern Maryland SERVPRO
Small water puddle on the floor the could be resulting from a much more serious issue
You know the saying, "Don't read a book by its cover?" Well that can also be true for water leakage. When you walk into your St. Mary's or Calvert County business after a night of heavy rain fall and notice wet floor, be sure to dial our number and give us a call. Something as small as a little drip or small puddle can be the least of your problems from what is hiding behind the walls or under the floor. A pipe can burst overnight and turn small porblem into a much larger disaster for your business. One single pipe can outburst hundreds of gallons per hour so it is important to not hesitate on call, even when you think the problem is mynute.
Our water damage restoration technicians are highly trained and exeperienced in mitigating commercial water damage in St. Mary's and Calvert County businesses of all types. We will make sure to properly handle any water related damages and work with you on the best arrival time so there is minimal distruption to your business, such as overnight or off hours. Amongst arrival, we will locate the source of water and stop the flow to further evaluate the situation. Once the source if fixed and the flow of water is stopped, we are then able to begin the water removing and drying process.
If you or someone you know is threatened by water damage be sure to give us a call or refer them our way, SERVPRO of St. Mary's and Calvert County.
Are You Prepared?
Disasters and emergencies strike without any given warning. It is important that your company is ready to take on any event that may come your way. Planning ahead is not only beneficial for your company but speaks trust to your clients and your employees. Did you know that up to 50% of businesses close due to a disaster never reopen? And that those that do reopen, it is determined that they had some type of response plan in place.
Timing is everything when it comes to a crisis and having a plan in place can be crucial to getting your company back up and running. It can minimize business interruption and associated loss revenue, as well as, save thousands of dollars in reduced secondary damages. Developing a SERVPRO Emergency Ready Profile for your business will help you know what to do, who to call and what to expect in advance which will help minimize the effects of water and fire damage.
SERVPRO's Emergency Ready Profile is a vital component of any pre-existing contingency plans. The SERVPRO ERP addresses two out of the three main parts in a contingency plan which include, incident response and disaster recovery. This plan is a non-cost assessment of your facility, designed only to contain critical information for the event of an emergency and established SERVPRO as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider, identifies the line of command for authorizing work to begin and provides the facility with shut-off valve locations, important areas and priority contact information.
Emergency Ready Profile Development:
- Employee and Emergency Contacts
- Utility Contact and Shut Off Locations
- Primary Contact Information
- Insurance Contact Information
- Property Overview Information
- Building Access Information
There Is Never A Good Time
Could you imagine showing up to work and your building engulfed in flames or became a swimming pool? No, because we could not either! There is never a good time for the event of a fire or water damage to strike your business. Luckily, no job is too big for SERVPRO of St. Mary's and Calvert Counties. Our Commercial Large Loss Division is composed of the best of the best in the restoration business. We understand that every day your business is put out of business is a loss of revenue and we will work quickly and efficiently to make sure your business is back in full force. Whether it is 2 in the afternoon or 2 in the early morning, we are always prepared and ready to help. So, when a emergency arrises, give us a call. We will be there fast and ready to restore and rebuild your property.
Did You Know?
Did you know that a clean work environment can be very beneficial to your company?
- Health: Frequently cleaning high touched areas, like desks, door knobs and phones can help prevent the millions of gems that are carries on those objects. Reducing the chance of sick days and the loss of revenue.
- Reduced Stress & Anxiety: Cluttered and dirty areas can cause stress and anxiety among the employees. Providing a clean work area can allow the employees to feel more organized and focused.
- Safety: Cleanliness can reduce the likelihood of a fall, trip or slip in the work area which could lead to time off and a loss of revenue.
- Increased Productivity: A clean work environment will heighten overall productivity because employees are less distracted by the clutter and disorganization.
- Increased Satisfaction: Overall, a clean environment will make the employees as well as visitors feel as if hygiene is important for the company.
For a lot of people their office is their second home. No one wants to live and in a dirty environment. Ask yourself this question, has your office been deep cleaned in a while? If not, call SERVPRO of St. Mary's and Calvert Counties and we will bring that office shine back.
SERVPRO of St. Mary's County is honored to be heading to Las Vegas, Nevada for the Crawford Contractor Connection top performer symposium. SERVPRO of St. Mary's County has been a member of the Crawford Contractor Connection network for over 15 years and this is the first time the Top Performer award has been received. Our General Manager, Chad Day, Will be flying to Las Vegas for a two day seminar and round table discussion about the industry and the services we provide. We are looking forward to the opportunity to spend time with other top performing SERVPROs which will allows us to further expand our knowledge base and improve the level of service we can provide. SERVPRO of St. Mary's County is excited about any opportunity that helps us make it "Like it never even happened."