Thousands of deaths are caused by fires, burns and other fire related injuries a year and cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries. We all love a good home cooked meal, but it is important to keep fire safety as a priority so it will not be your homes last meal.
- Be alert; make sure if you are going to bed the oven or stove is turned off
- Do not leave the fryer, grill, boiling or broiling unattended
- Remain in the kitchen while cooking and check regularly
- Use a timer
- Keep items that can catch on fire away from the stovetop
In the event of a cooking fire, have a fire extinguisher in reach. Only use if you are confident in your ability to active and use it. While using the fire extinguisher, remember the acronym P.A.S.S.
- Pull the pin
- Aim low at the base of the fire
- Squeeze the handle slowly
- Sweep the nozzle side to side
Your safety is one of our priorities!