Winter Storm Preparation
As winter approaches we are thinking about those harsh winter storms that come with it. These storms bring a lot of risk and challenges to property owners. In this blog we will share with you a few tips on how to prevent and protect your property from these hazards that winter storms present.
Outside your property
- Inspect and clean your gutters. Remove any debris that you find. The debris can cause build ups which wont allow to the to drain, when this water freezes up it causes ice damming which will cause water to flow into your home from the ceiling or walls.
- Remove tree branches that can fall onto your property which can case damage to your roof.
Inside your property
- Have your heating system serviced by a licensed contractor. If you have a indoor fireplace have it cleaned to prevent smoke or fire damage.
- Add extra insulation to your home especially in unfished spaces, exterior walls, and pipes to prevent pipe burst.
- Know where your main water shut-off valve is located. if you are put in the situation of having a pipe burst it is crucial to know how to shut off the water to prevent further damages.
- Have a back-up power source to aid in the event of power loss. Back-up power such as a generator will be able to provide yo with heat and also help prevent frozen pipes.
If you experience damage to your property from a winter storm give us a call at 301-862-9500 so we can make it "Like it never even happened."